To help responsibly grow the tourism and recreation economy in Washington County, the St. George Area Sports Commission can assist with the following key services: Event Operations, Marketing and Public Relations Support, Event Funding, Planning and Development of Sports & Recreation Venues, and Assistance with obtaining Event Permits.
The Sports Commission helps seek out and attract major sporting events that will infuse economic impact and present opportunities for economic development.
For event organizers we provide the following services:
• Prepare bids and facilitate host venue agreements for events
• Act as liaison between event organizers and local agencies, facilities and other entities
• Plan and coordinate site visits
• Connect organizers with community leaders
• Assist in event logistics planning and in establishing local organizing committees
• Participate in on-site event management
• Help recruit volunteers
• Promotional support (see Marketing & PR)
• Coordination with the St. George Area Tourism Office for lodging, visitor and destination services
Marketing & PR
The Sports Commission offers promotional support to energize local communities and event participants about the event. Marketing & PR services can include:
• Creation and distribution of event press releases
• Assisting with local non-paid media coverage
• Promotion via social media and email marketing
• Assistance with photography, graphic design and video promotion
• Local signage, welcome banners, and community awareness campaigns
• Event listing and promotion on the Sports Commission and Tourism websites
The Sports Commission has established a fund to help secure and support new sporting events that will stimulate the local economy by attracting visitors from outside of Washington County. Event organizers may apply for funding to assist with the marketing and promotion of their events.
Preference is given for events that meet the following criteria:
• Create new economic impact
• Add positive marketing exposure for the area
• Introduce the area to new audiences, markets and demographics
• Fill hotel rooms during shoulder, off-season and weekdays
Note: Events held from Feb. – April and during October may not be eligible for funding because of high hotel occupancy.
Should you have any questions please contact us for more information or assistance.
The Sports Commission plays a facilitating role in helping community leaders and private partners to plan and develop recreation venues and facilities that will enhance the economic opportunities for sports tourism while enriching the quality of life for residents.
In order to help stimulate sports tourism, the Sports Commission will review and consider requests for county assistance and/or funding for the development of venues, facilities and recreational assets. After review, the Sports Commission will then make recommendations to the County Commission for future investment.
In this way the Sports Commission helps coordinate efforts to responsibly leverage sports and event venues and other recreation assets to achieve maximum economic benefits while maintaining a quality experience for users.
Please contact the Sports Commission if you feel you have a qualifying project.
The communities in Washington County play host to a great variety of special events each year; from major sporting events and conventions, to parades, festivals and athletic activities.
This Permit Portal was created to assist event organizers in locating the necessary permit requirements and preparing applications. Below is a list of communities and agencies that have provided information about how to obtain permits in their area of jurisdiction.
To make best use of the portal:
1) Determine the location of your event
2) Click on the appropriate community and/or agency for your event
3) Download any applications, forms or checklists provided
4) Contact the appropriate representative for specific questions for that area
Click on the links below to be directed to the appropriate information:
Washington County Permits
Click here to download event application & checklist
City of St. George
City of Santa Clara
City of Hurricane
City of Washington
City of Springdale
118 Lion Blvd
Springdale, UT 84767
345 E Riverside Drive
St.George, UT 84790
Dixie National Forest
Pine Valley Recreation
Gunlock State Park
Quail Creek State Park
Sand Hollow State Park
Snow Canyon State Park